Thursday, March 8, 2012

Good Morning, Persephone

Today was quite a lovely spring day. The weather was warm and prompted me to put together an outfit that will probably go down as one of my favorites. 


Skirt- Target
Shirt- American Eagle
Necklace & Ribbon- thrifted 

~~~

I just finished working on a Greek mythology project for History and I must say, this is some interesting stuff. One of the weirdest (but my favorite) stories is the myth of Persephone. For those of you who don't know, she was the daughter of Demeter, the goddess who controlled the harvest. One day Hades, the god of the underworld, saw how beautiful Persephone was and kidnapped her to be his wife. Demeter was devastated and ignored her job- making sure the crops on earth would grow. Zeus (who was the king of all the gods) found out about this and was worried that all the people would starve, so he forced Hades to allow Persephone to return.
However, because Persephone had eaten four seeds of a pomegranate while in the underworld, she was forced to return for four months out of each year. During those four months, Demeter allows the plants to wither and die, but in the Spring when Persephone returns, Demeter is happy again and the plants flourish.

It's an interesting story, just thought I'd share because it seemed to fit nicely with today's post.

Happy Spring, everyone! 

Always,
Abby Noel 

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Really? Only 4, because according to my calculations, she must have eaten 10 seeds, at least! Dang Minnesota Weather!

raras said...

I really like your skirt!! :)

Abbynoel24 said...

@Racheal- Really? I wish she had eaten more seeds where I live, we got almost no snow this year :(

@raraskinanti- Thanks! I don't wear it often because it doesn't match many things, but it's still one of my favorites :)

jessica.gwm said...

I love, love, love your sense of style!

Abbynoel24 said...

Aww, thanks :)

degilio said...

isn't abby beautiful *being a kiss a** *

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved